The Association of Academic Staff University of Alberta (AASUA) is the exclusive bargaining agent for Academic Faculty Members, Academic Teaching Staff, Administrative and Professional Officers, Faculty Service Officers, Librarians, Trust Research Academic Staff, and Temporary Librarians and Professional Officers at the University of Alberta. The largest academic staff union in Canada, AASUA represents the interests of approximately 4,000 members located across 5 campuses in 2 cities, Edmonton, and Camrose.
The AASUA requires a part-time, continuing Labour Relations Officer (LRO) to join our existing team.
Functionally reporting to the Associate Director, Labour Relations, the ideal candidate will be
responsible for advising and representing our membership in all matters impacting the terms and
conditions of their employment relationship with the University of Alberta.
- Represent and advocate for members on contract interpretation matters.
- Respond to members’ concerns and inquiries regarding matters such as academic freedom, disability and accommodation questions, disciplinary investigations, and evaluations and appeals processes.
- Provide input to the development of Association guidelines and University policies.
- Research complex legal employment issues and stay apprised of changing university regulations, related legislation, and current labour relations case law.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Post-secondary education (advanced degree preferred) and/or labour relations experience.
- Solid understanding of current human resource practices and a working knowledge of arbitral law.
- Pedagogical and / or research experienced is desired.
- Proven ability to counsel / negotiate / mediate / facilitate.
Excellent interpersonal, communication and advocacy skills.
- Ability to take initiative, exercise good judgment, and work independently as well as part of a collaborative team.
This is a part-time permanent appointment (probationary), with competitive compensation and benefits. Preference is for the ideal candidate to work half-days, five days per week. Employees in the bargaining unit are represented by the United Steelworkers, Local 1-207.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to the attention of Brygeda Renke, Executive Director & General Counsel, by email to Reception.
Deadline for Applications: February 10, 2023
We thank you in advance for your interest. Only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. For more information regarding the Association, please visit: aasua.ca