The Association of Academic Staff University of Alberta (AASUA) is the exclusive bargaining agent for Academic Faculty Members, Academic Teaching Staff, Administrative and Professional Officers, Faculty Service Officers, Librarians, and Trust Research Academic Staff at the University of Alberta. The largest academic staff union in Canada, AASUA represents the interests of approximately 4,000 members located across 5 campuses in 2 cities, Edmonton, and Camrose. The Communications Officer will join our staff team in their commitment to representing our members.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the ideal candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive communications strategy that engages AASUA Members and enhances AASUA’s profile within the University community and more broadly within the general public.
· Plays an advisory role in the management of communication strategies regarding ongoing and emerging issues.
· Provide updates and insight on the activities of AASUA and trade unions provincially and nationally.
· Prepare internal communications including social media posts, bulletins, and member engagement materials.
Experience and Qualifications:
· Post-secondary education combined with professional experience in communications, public relations, journalism, or suitable equivalents.
· Excellent writing/editing and interpersonal communication skills and preparation and distribution of electronic publications.
· Demonstrated ability in the use of social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Twitter).
· Proficiency with HTML and website design and management is a required asset.
· Experience with graphic design and proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 software.
· Ability to take initiative, exercise good judgment, and work independently as well as part of a collaborative team.
· Commitment to fostering positive working relationships within the Association and broader University community.
· Experience in a post-secondary and/or labour relations environment and/or an understanding of unionized workplaces and collective agreements is preferred.
· Knowledgeable about legislation and regulations governing the Alberta Post-secondary system.
This is a full-time permanent appointment (probationary), with competitive compensation and benefits. Employees in the bargaining unit are represented by the United Steelworkers, Local 1-207.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to the attention of Brygeda Renke, Executive Director & General Counsel, by email to Reception.
Deadline for Applications: Wednesday, August 31, 2022 at 4:00 pm
We thank you in advance for your interest. Only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. For more information regarding the Association, please visit: aasua.ca